Grab your friends, family, or colleagues and have some fun in the sun! Whether you are complete beginners or social beach volleyball legends, enter your team today! Battle it out in a tournament for everyone and have the chance to be crowned the ultimate Social League Sunday champions!
Get sandy on a Sunday morning and finish up in time to watch New Zealand’s high-performance athletes battle it out in the final rounds of the G.J. Gardener Homes NZ Beach Tour. Make sure to stick around for the official after-party that kick’s off at the conclusion of the bronze and gold medal matches.
16th January 2022
23rd January 2022
BAY OF PLENTY
13th February 2022
6th March 2022
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can enter the events?
Entry is open to anyone and everyone 16+. You can enter with as many players as you want, however only 4 players are allowed on the court at any one time. Each team must have at least one male and female player on the court at any one time.
When are the events?
Each Social League Sunday event will take place between 9am and 12pm, with the gold medal match being played on the Social League Sunday show court.
- Northland – Sunday 16th January 2022
- Bay of Plenty – Sunday 23rd January 2022
- Tasman – Sunday 13th February 2022
- National Championships – Sunday 6th March 2022
How much does it cost?
$120 per team* (plus 3% credit card fee) – includes;
- Entry into the event.
- Social League Sunday Entry Pack - full of goodies from our sponsors!
- Team prizes for 1st and 2nd place.
- Referees provided.
When do I need to enter by?
- Northland – entries close at midnight on Friday 14th January 2022
- Bay of Plenty – entries close at midnight on Friday 21st January 2022
- Tasman – entries close at midnight on Friday 11th February 2022
- NZBT Finals – entries close at midnight on Friday 4th March 2022
When will I receive my Social League Sunday Pack?
You will receive your pack full of goodies once you arrive at the tournament check-in tent on the day.
How do I check-in and what time?
You can do this at the tournament check-in tent between 8:30 and 8:45am on the event day. You will receive your Social League Sunday Pack and find out your lucky (or unlucky) first opponents!
What do I need to bring?
What time does the event finish?
How do I purchase official photos?
Is there a prize giving and after party?
Yes, and YES! There will be prizes for 1st and 2nd place as well as awesome spot prizes! Feel like dressing up? You can also win prizes for BEST DRESSED!
Where can I find lost property?
Lost property can be collected from the tournament check-in tent on the day of the event or you can send us a message post-event. Lost property will be held on hand until the 31st March 2022
How many players per team?
You can enter with as many players as you want in your squad , however only 4 players must be on the court at any one time. Squads with 6 or more players must pay an additional $30 per player IF they would like to receive additional Player Packs.
How long is each game?
What are the basic rules?
- 4 players on each team aim to hit the ball over the net, this is usually with your hands although it is possible to use any body part to hit the ball.
- Substitutions can be made between points at any point, but each team must have male and female representatives on the court at any one time.
- You must serve from behind the base line, this can be over-hand or under-hand depending on your skill level.
- When a receiving team gain the right to serve, players rotate one position clockwise. The next rally then begins with a serve by the player who has just moved into the server's position.
- Each team can hit the ball a combined three times to return it to the opposition
- A touch off of a block does not count as one of your three hits.
- You score a point if:
- the ball lands in the opposition's court
- the opposition cannot return the ball, touches the ball 4 times, or one player touches the ball twice in a row
- the opposition touches the net
- The winner of each rally scores a point, irrespective of which team has served.
- Games are 25 minutes each; teams will change side at half-time (12 mins)
What does the draw look like?
Social League Sunday is a single elimination tournament. All teams will receive a minimum of 3 games with playoff games for those knocked out early.