Volleyball New Zealand is excited to confirm the Level 3 – Te Whanake Coach Award schedule for 2024.
As a key part of the new Volleyball New Zealand Coach Development Framework, the Level 3 course takes place over a five-month period including online and in-person development opportunities as well as a self-reflection component.
Volleyball New Zealand Coach Development Manager Shaun Matthews is excited by the potential of the impact of the course for those involved.
“This programme has the potential to be something really exciting,” Matthews said.
“For coaches from across the motu, coming together to discuss and reflect on effective coaching practice, that’s something new for the sport of volleyball.
“It’s also great to be able to offer something specifically for beach volleyball coaches as well. For the weekend in Auckland, we are hoping to split the group, running parallel courses to meet the needs of beach coaches and indoor coaches.”
To complete an expression of interest for the Level 3 Te Whanake Coach Award, click here. EOI closes on Friday 26 January, 2024.
Contact Volleyball New Zealand Coach Development Manager Shaun Matthews for more information – firstname.lastname@example.org
Details - Level III Te Whanake Coach Award – Develop your Coaching Craft
How: Coaches are encouraged to complete Level II Te Tipu (Grow) Award OR show evidence of prior learning/experience with coaching. To complete the programme, coaches are encouraged to attend multiple modules as well as show evidence of reflection and learning over a 5-month period.
Who: Te Whanake (Develop) is the ideal course for the aspiring beach/indoor coach of competitive players (club, senior secondary school, and IPC level coaches).
What: Coaches will learn about attacking, transition, defending, and advanced volleyball techniques (beach or indoor), as well as generic coaching material such as leadership of self and others, developing decision makers, game analysis, and understanding the people we coach. Note: for the volleyball components of the course, the group will split into two groups – beach and indoor. So that coaches can discuss and reflect on the technical and tactical components specific to their discipline.
Cost: $119.95 + GST
1. Leadership of Self and Others/Developing Decision Makers - Sunday 25 February or Sunday 3 March, 9am-12.30pm via Zoom
2. Defending, Attacking, Transition, and Advanced Volleyball Techniques - Saturday 20 April (11:00am - 5:00pm) & Sunday 21st April (9:00am - 2:00pm) - Auckland (Participants are responsible for their own travel and accommodation)
3. Understanding the People we Coach/Game Analysis - Sunday 16 June, 9:00am - 12:30pm via Zoom
- VNZ asks that each participant is endorsed by someone from their region – to ascertain suitability and act as a mentor throughout the experience.
- If there are 4 or more coaches from a specific region, and there is someone locally who has the capability to deliver the volleyball-specific component, coaches can choose whether they travel to Auckland or not.