Female athletes significantly contribute to New Zealand’s success on the international sporting stage, yet females remain significantly under-represented in high performance sport leadership and coaching roles. (HPSNZ 2022) Sport NZ’s paid workforce survey 2017 found only 30% of High Performance coaches are female with coach development only reaching 33% of our female coaches.
C.O.D-E F is a mentoring and coach development program designed specifically for female coaches who are currently working at the develop area of the VNZ coaching framework and wish to work through the excel award. It is targeted to those who have aspirations to coach our National teams.
The program is led by Kim Smith, our Performance Coach Advisor (Women's and Girls). Kim has created this program with support of the findings of the Women Coaches in Aotearoa survey, completed by High Performance Sport New Zealand and Massey University in 2019.
This program also meets targets within VNZs athlete development and performance strategy 2019-2030 and The Mahere Rautaki strategic plan 2023-2030.
We aim to build confidence, capability and visibility. Providing clear pathways for female performance coaches in VNZ.
Our learning occurs in safe environments where female coaches can connect and share, explore, implement, fail, learn and reflect on their knowledge and application throughout the 10-month program. C.O. D-E F is delivered in the following forums;
- Monthly online coach development sessions.
- A three-day, two-night live in wānanga.
- In-person coach observation opportunities for giving and receiving feedback.
Topics will be prepared for the group to co-construct the course and decide the direction the course needs to take. If there are topics the group want to cover then Kim will be responsive and prepare accordingly.
- Identity and authenticity
- Why your athletes play
- Accepting diversity and building relationships
- Red head Blue head and the ability to give and receive feedback.
- Communication and UDL principles for coaching.
- Theme weaving as a way to connect new learning to team culture.
- No response is still a response - Sideline coaching
- Going backwards to move forward. Backwards mapping a campaign plan.
- How to make individuals better technically and tactically in one season.
VNZ are asking for expressions of interest for our inaugural intake of C O D-E F (Coaching on! Develop - Excel for Females). 01 October 2023 - 01 July 2024
Expressions of interest close September Friday 15 September.
Successful applicants will be advised no later than Friday 29 September.